WELCOME TO RIO!
SCREENINGS AND PANELS
KEYNOTES AND MASTERCLASS
BEACHES AND SIGHTSEEING
THE FINAL ROUND OF WSWC 2017
Rio Web Fest is the final round of the Web Series World Cup, an international web fest contest created by Joël Bassaget, web series blogger of the french newspaper Libération. The first round starts in Buenos Aires, followed by Vancouver, Miami, Austin, Washington, Hamburg, Valencia, Melbourne, Ustica, Berlin, Marseille, Bilbao, Seoul and London. Give your web series a chance to be crowned 2017 World Champion in Brazil!
EARLYBIRD SUBMISSION UNTIL MARCH 31!
Our third edition will take place in December 2017 in the wonderful city of Rio de Janeiro. We have festival partners from all around the globe, including Los Angeles, Marseille, Bilbao, Buenos Aires, Sicily, Rome, Melbourne, Berlin, Seoul and London!
Join the web fest celebration in Rio de Janeiro and get together for some caipirinhas and coconut water on our beautiful beaches!
Some of our main attractions:
- CASH AWARDS!
- SUPER PROJECT: pitching sessions for co-productions with international producers.
- SILVER TICKETS: Direct official selection to other web fest partners of the Web Fest International Circuit.
- GOLDEN TICKET: Direct official selection to other web fest partners (including plane ticket and accommodation paid).
- BUSINESS ROUNDS with representatives of Brazil's TV Channel such as Canal Curta!.
- KEYNOTES from university professors about the web video in Brazil and abroad.
- PANELS with creators from Brazil and abroad.
- SCREENING SESSIONS of web series.
- CLOSED PARTIES and special events for festival participants only.
- RED CARPET and AWARDS SHOW broadcasted online.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Why is there a submission fee?
Main cinema, television and web series festivals around the world are paid (including Sundance and Emmy). It is the way we have to produce the event. But don't worry: if your web series, vlog, dance video, music video or project is selected, you get a passport to attend all lectures, masterclasses and workshops at the festival for free.
If my work is not selected, will you return my submission fee?
Unfortunately, there are no refunds.
My webseries has only one chapter or has not been filmed yet. Can I participate?
The minimum number for a product to be considered a web series is two episodes. They have to be ready at the time of registration. If you have a project, you can't participate as a web series, but you can submit for the SUPER PROJECT.
Is there a duration limit on the episodes submitted?
No, there are no duration limit for your submitted show. However, if it gets in the official selection and you want it to be screened at the festival, you need to send us a video with the maximum duration of 12 minutes.
What is the SUPER PROJECT?
More than an awards ceremony, our festival gives creators the opportunity to pitch projects that are still on paper for national and internacional co-producers of the video industry. Please note that the completed submission form and the payment of the submission fee alone won’t guarantee a place in the pitching sessions. The festival organization will preselect which projects will be eligible to participate in the pitching sessions.
My web series already participated in last year's festival. Can I join again?
Yes, because every year we will have a different jury.
How does the official selection process and awards of the festival works?
The festival staff reviews the submissions, watch the uploaded videos and selects the nominees for each category. The official selection list will be posted on our website and social media. During the event, our national and international jury will select the winners for each award. You can submit on our website your webseries, music or dance video or via Film Freeway.
I read in the regulations that English subtitles are mandatory, even for English speaking shows. How does it work?
As the festival staff is bilingual, there is no need to subtitle the submitted episodes in English to participate in the official selection. However, if your web series is nominated for an award, you must send copies with English subtitles so the international jury can evaluate your work, even if it is spoken in the English language.
I do not have a webseries. Can I come to the festival to watch the screenings and make contacts?
Of course you can! Our festival will be held in the brand new City of Arts, a giant complex near the beautiful beaches of Barra da Tijuca, in the West Zone of Rio de Janeiro. The festival attractions will be sold at popular prices so everyone can participate. The venue is safe, it has a paid parking lot and is right next to the Alvorada bus terminal, with easy access via bus or BRT.
What is the minimum age to participate?
The event has a minimum rating of 14 years age to participate. Minors can go with their parents.
Rules & Terms
We are looking for all kinds of web series, vlogs, dance and music videos.
To be able to compete, a web series must have at least two episodes released or ready to be viewed by festival selectors by the time of the submission deadline. There is no duration limit for each episode in the submission and web series that participated in our inaugural edition can also participate this year, since we have a different jury every year.
Creators are welcome to submit as many web series as they want, but each one requires one submission fee. If you are willing to submit more than one, please contact us at email@example.com.
Any non-English or non-Brazilian Portuguese language web series must have subtitles in English and/or in Brazilian Portuguese available by the time of the submission. If your series is officially selected, YOU MUST PROVIDE English subtitles for the screening copies.
Although there is no duration limit for submitting, the screening time limit for each selected web series is 12 minutes (including credits). You are allowed to either send an shorter episode with a total running time of no more than 12 minutes or and edited reel of two or three episodes, if your chapters are really short.
Music Videos and Dance Videos are also welcome in our festival.
Selected entries are required to provide a high resolution copy of the screening episode(s) encoded in .mp4 or .mov files in 1080p, h264, max 20mbps bitrate, NTSC or PAL. Please double check your screening files before sending.
Regulations and Procedures
- Rio Web Fest 2017 will take place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in early December 2017.
- Submission Deadlines: Submissions are open from February 15th until no later than September 30th. Official selection will be announced in October.
- Submission Format: For Web Series, a minimum of 2 episodes must be submitted online. For Music and Dance Videos, just the link for the video will be enough. You can submit on our website your webseries, music or dance video or via Film Freeway.
- Submission Eligibility: All web series produced anytime and anywhere in the world with a two episodes minimum is eligible for submission. Web series that participated in our inaugural edition are still eligible, since we have different jury every year.
- Submission Fee: All FilmFreeway submissions for Rio Web Fest must be paid by credit card. The submission fee is non-refundable.
- Selection of Web Series: Submissions are reviewed and selected under the following criteria: quality of narrative and production, acting, originality, cinematography, sound and other technical categories. Official selections will be announced on October 15th and the results will be informed by email. Nominees should send digital files for screening encoded in .mp4 or .mov files in 1080p, h264, max 20mbps bitrate, NTSC or PAL.
- Official selections MUST PROVIDE English subtitles for the screening copies, regardless of the original language of your show.
- Screenings are scheduled during the festival under the criterion of Rio Webfest. Whilst every effort will be made to fulfill the published schedule, we reserve the right to make changes at any time for any reason and we'll not be liable for any costs claimed as a result of a change in scheduling.
- Filmmakers can submit as many web series as they want. If you are willing to submit more than one web series, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The festival is sovereign in its decisions regarding the distribution of prizes, trophies and laurels and is free to modify them if necessary, for reasons of "force majeure", keeping that resolution always as a last resort, to be used only if all the alternatives are exhausted.
- All submitters declare themselves as responsible for the rights of all contents of their episodes in the act of submission. For example, soundtrack, logo and images. In case of the true rights holder inquires about the unauthorized use of his creation, the festival will not be responsible for it.
- During the awards show, the winner trophies will be given to anyone representing the series, all exceptions must be specifically asked in writing before the festival starts. If you are not present at the awards show, we can still send your trophy by mail afterwards, as long as you can cover the shipping costs.
- Payment of the submission fee and filling out the submission form does not mean that your web series will be automatically nominated for an award or that you'll be eligible for the pitching sessions. The festival will preselect the series for the awards nominations and preselect projects to participate in the pitching sessions.
- All CASH PRIZES will be paid only via Paypal account transfer up till one month after the awards show is over. Paypal taxes and fees are also responsibility of the prize winner.