1-4 December 2016
WELCOME TO RIO!
SCREENINGS AND PANELS
NETWORKING AND PARTIES
KEYNOTES AND MASTERCLASS
BEACHES AND SIGHTSEEING
THE FINAL ROUND OF WSWC 2016
Rio Web Fest is the final round of the Web Series World Cup, an international web fest contest created by Joël Bassaget, web series blogger of the french newspaper Libération. The first round starts in Buenos Aires, followed by Vancouver, Miami, Austin, Washington, Montreal, Valencia, Melbourne, Ustica, Berlin, Marseille, Bilbao, Seoul and London. Give your web series a chance to be crowned 2016 World Champion in Brazil!
RIO WEB FEST 2016 AWARDS
Best Comedy Series
Best Writing (Comedy)
Best Directing (Comedy)
Best Female Performance in a Comedy
Best Male Performance in a Comedy
Best Ensemble Performance (Comedy)
Best Dramatic Series
Best Writing (Drama)
Best Directing (Drama)
Best Female Performance in a Drama
Best Male Performance in a Drama
Best Ensemble Performance (Drama)
Best Action Series
Best Writing (Action)
Best Directing (Action)
Best Female Performance in an Action Series
Best Male Performance in an Action Series
Best Ensemble Performance (Action)
MUSIC AND DANCE VIDEOS
Best Music Video
Best Dance Video
Best Documentary Series
Best Variety Series
Best Educational Series
Best Directing (Non-Fiction)
Best Writing (Non-Fiction)
Co-production possibility with the french production company Dark Light.
Best Costume Design
Best Production Design
Best Original Music
Best Visual Effects
Best Sound Design
Best Animated Series
Best Diversity Series
SPECIAL CASH AWARDS
Best Brazilian Series
Best International Series
Best Vlogger/Youtuber Series
People's Choice Series
SILVER TICKETS - SELECTION TO THE WEB FEST INTERNATIONAL CIRCUIT
Direct Selection to Melbourne Web Fest 2017 (Australia)
Direct Selection to Los Angeles Web Fest 2017 (USA)
Direct Selection to Korea Web Fest 2017 (South Korea)
Direct Selection to Webfest Berlin 2017 (Germany)
Direct Selection to Buenos Aires Web Fest 2017 (Argentine)
Direct Selection to Montreal Web Fest 2017 (Canada)
Direct Selection to Sicily Webfest 2017 (Italy)
Direct Selection to Roma Web Fest 2017 (Italy)
Direct Selection to Bilbao Web Fest 2017 (Spain)
Direct Selection to Tuscany Web Fest 2017 (Italy)
Direct Selection to Wendie Web Fest 2017 (Germany)
Direct Selection and Flight to Marseille Web Fest 2017 (Brazilian Series Only)
SUBMISSIONS ARE OPEN UNTIL SEPTEMBER 30th 2016
Our second edition will take place in early December 2016 in the wonderful city of Rio de Janeiro. We have festival partners from all around the globe, including Los Angeles, Marseille, Carballo and Bilbao in Spain, Toronto, Sicily, Rome, Melbourne, Berlin and London!
Join the web fest celebration in Rio de Janeiro and get together for some caipirinhas and coconut water by our beautiful beaches!
Some of our treats:
- Cash Awards
- Direct official selection to other web fest partners of the Web Fest International Circuit.
- Business rounds with representatives of Brazil's TV such as Canal Curta!.
- Lectures from university professors about the web video in Brazil and abroad.
- Panels with web series creators.
- Screening of web series.
- Parties and special events for festival participants only.
- Red Carpet and Award Ceremony broadcasted online
Let us help you share your work with the world!
WHAT IS THE SUPER PROJECT?
Mr. Jean Michel Albert, the brilliant mind behind Marseille Web Fest and Dark Light Productions, will be in Rio de Janeiro in December to pick one project to co-produce. The festival crew will pre-select 10 projects to have the chance to participate in pitching sessions directly with Mr. Albert, in English or French. The only accepted genres will be action, adventure, super heroes, zombies, sci-fi and suspense. To participate you have to:
1) Fill out the project registration form and pay the submission fee in Paypal.
2) Have all the rights on the project (ready-to-release pilot episodes will not be accepted!)
3) Attend personally to the Rio Webfest in December to be able to participate the pitching sessions.
4) Be proficient in English or French languages.
Please note that the filled-out submission form and the payment of the submission fee alone doesn't guarantee a spot in the pitching sessions! Only the ten pre-selected projects by the festival staff will have this opportunity!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Do I need a script ready to shoot in order to participate in the SUPER PROJECT?
On the submission, we only require: a brief synopsis of the project, summary of the first three episodes, brief description of the main characters, a quick biography of yourself and some porfolio. If you make it to the pitching sessions, it would be nice to have the script for a pilot outlined, but all co-production conditions will be discussed directly with Mr. Albert, if your project is the winner of the SUPER PROJECT.
Do I need to own a production company to participate in the SUPER PROJECT?
No! Everyone with a good idea can participate. :)
Can I fill the SUPER PROJECT info in English?
Of course! English or brazilian portuguese are accepted.
Why is there a submission fee?
Main festivals around the world of cinema and television are paid (including Sundance and Emmy). It's the way we have to produce the event. But don't worry: if your web series, vlog, dance video, music video or project is selected, you get a passport to attend all lectures, masterclasses and festival workshops for free.
If my number is not selected, you return the money of registration?
Unfortunately, there is no return of money. So be aware in time to register and assess whether your project is ready to be judged by members of the Brazilian and international audiovisual market.
My webseries has only one chapter or has not been filmed yet. Can I participate?
The minimum number for a product to be considered an web series is two episodes. They have to be ready at the time of registration or no later than September 30. If you have a project, you can't participate as a web series, but you can submit for the SUPER PROJECT contest.
My web series already participated in last year's festival. Can I join again?
Yes, because every year we will have a different jury.
How does the selection process and award of the festival?
The festival staff reviews the submissions, watch the uploaded videos and selects the nominees for each category. The official selection list will be posted on our website and social media on 15 October. During the days of the actual event, our national and international jury will select the winners for each award.
I read in the regulation is accurate subtitling my show in English. How does it work?
As the festival staff are bilingual, there is no need to subtitle the submitted episodes in English to participate in the official selection. However, if your web series is nominated for an award, you must send copies with English subtitles so the international jury can evaluate your work.
I do not have a webseries. Can I come to the festival to watch the screenings and make contacts?
Of course you can! Our festival will be held in the brand new City of Arts, a giant complex near the beautiful beaches of Barra da Tijuca, in the West Zone of Rio de Janeiro. The festival attractions will be popular price so everyone can participate. The venue is safe, it has a paid parking lot and is right next to the Alvorada bus terminal, with easy access via bus or BRT.
What is the minimum age to participate?
The event has minimum of 14 years to participate. Minors can still go with their parents.
Rules & Terms
We are looking for all kinds of web series. There are special awards for Comedy, Drama, Action/Horror/Sci-Fi, Animation andNon-Fiction such as Educational, Documentary and Variety. There are also awards for technical categories such as Best Cinematography, Editing, Visual Effects, etc.
To be able to compete, a web series must have at least two episodes released or ready to be viewed by festival selectors by the time of the submission deadline. There is no duration limit for each episode in the submission and web series that participated in our inaugural edition can also participate this year.
Filmmakers are welcome to submit as many web series as they want, but each one requires one submission fee. If you are willing to submit more than one, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any non-English or non-Brazilian Portuguese language web series must have subtitles in English and/or in Brazilian Portuguese available by the time of the submission. If your series is officially selected, YOU MUST PROVIDE English subtitles for the screening copies.
Although there is no duration limit for submitting, the screening slot for each selected web series is 12 minutes (including credits). You are allowed to either send an shorter episode with a total running time of no more than 12 minutes or and edited reel of two or three episodes, if your chapters are really short.
Music Videos and Dance Videos are also welcome in our festival.
Selected entries are required to provide a high resolution copy of the screening episode(s) encoded in .mp4 or .mov files in 1080p, h264, max 20mbps bitrate, 23.98 fps or 29.97 fps, NTSC. Please check your screening files before sending.
Regulations and Procedures
- Rio Web Fest 2016 will take place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil from 1-4 December 2016.
- Submission Deadlines: Submissions are open from June 1st 2016 until no later than September 30th 2016. Official selection will be announced in October 15th 2016.
- Submission Format: For Web Series, a minimum of 2 episodes must be submitted online. For Music and Dance Videos, just the link for the video will be enough.
- Submission Eligibility: All web series produced anytime and anywhere in the world with a two episodes minimum is eligible for submission. Web series that participated in our inaugural edition are still eligible, since we have different jury every year.
- Submission Fee: All FilmFreeway submissions for Rio Web Fest are to be paid by credit card. The submission fee is non-refundable.
- Selection of Web Series: Submissions are reviewed and selected under the following criteria: quality of narrative and production, acting, originality, cinematography, sound and other technical categories. Official selections will be announced by October 15th 2016 and the results will be informed by email. Successful submissions should send digital files for screening encoded in .mp4 or .mov files in 1080p, h264, max 20mbps bitrate, 23.98 fps or 29.97 fps, NTSC. Official selections MUST PROVIDE English subtitles for the screening copies, regardless of the original language of your show.
- Screenings are scheduled during the festival at the discretion of Rio Web Fest. Whilst every effort will be made to fulfill the published schedule, we reserve the right to make changes at any time for any reason and we'll not be liable for any costs claimed as a result of a change in scheduling.
- Filmmakers can submit as many web series as they want. If you are willing to submit more than one web series, please contact us at email@example.com.
- The festival is sovereign in its decisions regarding the distribution of prizes, trophies and laurels and is free to modify them if necessary, for reasons of "force majeure", keeping that resolution always a last resort, to be used only if all the alternatives are exhausted.
- All submitters declare themselves as responsible for the rights of all artwork contained in the sent videos in the act of submission. For example, soundtrack, logo and images. In case of the true rights holder inquires about the unauthorized use of his creation, the festival will not be held responsible for them.
- Payment of the submission fee and filling out the submission form doesn't mean that your web series will be automatically nominated for any awards or that you'll be eligible for the pitching sessions. The festival will pre-select all the submitted series for the awards nominations and choose only 10 projects to participate the pitching sessions.
RIO WEB FEST 2015 WINNERS lol
Best Comedy Series I Love My Job (FRA)
Best Writing (Comedy) Como Seria Se – Destruindo Relacionamentos (BRA)
Best Directing (Comedy) Suvaca de Vó (BRA)
Best Female Performance (Comedy) Paula Rhodes – The New Adventures of Peter and Wendy (USA)
Best Male Performance (Comedy) Chris Hembury – Love Hurts (GBR)
Best Ensemble Performance (Comedy) The Pantsless Detective (USA)
Best Drama Series The Other Side (COL)
Best Writing (Drama) Murder (BRA)
Best Directing (Drama) Mute (BRA)
Best Female Performance (Drama) Rose Tuñas – Despassos (BRA)
Best Male Performance (Drama) Drew Horner – Heads & Tails (GBR)
Best Ensemble Performance (Drama) RANDOM (FRA)
Best Action Series Empires of Evil (AUT)
Best Writing (Action) Gifted Corporation (ESP)
Best Directing (Action) Redland (DEU)
Best Ensemble Performance (Action) Clutch (CAN)
Best Animated Series Zozo (FRA)
Best Music Video Too Many Emotions (BRA)
Best Documentary Series Stories of Youth – A Portrait of a Generation (NOR)
Best Variety Series YOLO Vegas (BRA)
Best Educational Series Ta Ligado: Rodas e Hip Hop no Rio (BRA)
Best Directing (Non Fiction) Grupo Corpo (40 years) (BRA)
Best Writing (Non Fiction) Shorts About Giants (ARG)
Best Cinematography Heads and Tails (GBR)
Best Editing Project M (CAN)
Best Costume Design Suvaca de Vó (BRA)
Best Production Design Esther’s Style (ARG)
Best Makeup FIRPO (ITA)
Best Soundtrack Wilson Saloon (BRA)
Best Special FX Airlock (AUS)
Best Sound Editing Desenterrados (ESP)
Best Brazilian Series 1quarto (BRA)
Best Brazilian Vlogger Walk Talk (BRA)
DAILYMOTION Brazilian Series Aturando (BRA)
DAILYMOTION International Series The Pantsless Detective (USA)
DAILYMOTION Music Video Teu Caminho (BRA)
DISTRIBUITION DEAL Canal Curta! Ta Ligado: Rodas e Hip Hop no Rio (BRA)
DIRECT OFFICIAL SELECTION Melbourne Web Fest 2016 Mute (BRA)
DIRECT OFFICIAL SELECTION Roma Web Fest 2016 Standardized (BRA-CAN)
DIRECT OFFICIAL SELECTION Web Fest Berlin 2016 Os Britos Também Amam (BRA)
DIRECT OFFICIAL SELECTION Buenos Aires Web Fest 2016 O Lado Nix (BRA)
DIRECT OFFICIAL SELECTION Korea Web Fest 2016 Mute (BRA) and Acabou o Amor (BRA)
DIRECT OFFICIAL SELECTION Bilbao Web Fest 2016O Lado Nix (BRA)
DIRECT OFFICIAL SELECTION Sicily Web Fest 2016A Vida \o/ de Lucas Batista (BRA)
DIRECT OFFICIAL SELECTION LA Web Fest 2016 A Vida \o/ de Lucas Batista (BRA), Mute (BRA), Wilson Saloon (BRA) and Acabou o Amor (BRA).